Monday, March 12, 2007


Since I moved to Gillette a few weeks ago some pictures and and account of my doings is in order. Work officially started on January 22, 2007, but I really have not done work until today. I got my first claim this morning, and had an estimate done by noon. The previous seven weeks have all been training. I completed two two-week sessions training in Phoenix, as well as three weeks doing online courses in the office. The training has almost been a two month vacation. While there have been tests and certifications the training has not been that intense.

While in Phoenix it was nice to have someone make my bead, prepare my breakfast, take care of all the cleaning, and have time to sit in a hot-tub. This time round I did take some time to do a little hiking. There is a park just across the street from the training center full of great hiking and biking trails. I was surprised to also find an area with mountain goats on it. It was surprising to find goats essentially in the middle of the city. The area was fenced off, and they must feed and water the goats since there is not really nothing there but rock. That is kind of my opinion of Phoenix. Nothing there but rock, and then this crazy city that certainly does not belong. I wonder why a city like Phoenix grows, yet others don't.

Well, it is nice to be home. I like Gillette, even though my apartment stinks. When I got home late Friday night I opened my door the the smell of cigarette smoke and mildew. I was greeted by a leaky water heater. The carpet in the extra room was completely soaked. It really smells terrible. It turns out that a hole rusted through my water heater and the drain that is supposed to prevent a flood was plugged up. Amazingly the people downstairs did not get any water. Still it is just drying out tonight and getting rid of the mildew may require replacing the carpet.


Luckily I have a pretty good apartment owner so replacement of the water heater was quick, and the carpet should be taken care of soon. The rest of the post will just be some pictures of things I have done.















HERE THEY ARE


Me in the batting cages. If you look close you will notice that I am hitting a softball. The baseballs were to fast to photograph well.


The only picture of me in class. As far as I know I am the only one to take a picture in class. Perhaps I will take a picture of our Casualty class picture.


Here is the goat. I had to take the picture facing the sun so I only got the silhouette.


Picture of the Training Center. It is the white building.



Flying over Colorado



Moving in with Jon and Kanien. I could not have done it without their help.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Katherine and Rick said...

Nice post. It is good to see some photos of what you're doing. I hope you enjoy your work
Dad

7:19 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

Wow that looks like a lot of fun. I sure wish I was sitting in a hot tub right now. I don't understand why people love phoenix so much either. I think it is too hot. Your job sounds really interesting, I am glad you finally started. Do you think you will get transferred? Sorry about the apartment! What a terrible welcome home!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Hey Greg

Thanks for the pictures. Maybe we can meet in Island Park this weekend....Ha ha...I wish. We'll be done with Grandma by May 31st, so after that we'll definitely have to meet up there. Kanien and I had a BLAST moving you in. Hopefully you can get a new place or fix the smell or something like that.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Gregory said...

There is a high chance that I will be transfered to Cody Wyoming in about a year. It could come sooner just depending on my ability. It would be a nice transfer because I would get a lot of experience that I would not otherwise receive. I am looking for a new apartment, but that is challenging. Almost everywhere is full, and the best places are all low-income housing. There are several newer complexes, but you have to make less than the median inome to qualify. Also when calling the other places they are available from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm so I have to find time while working to call. Many of the places have waiting lists, some over a year long, but I can't wait too long if I am just going to move again. I feel that I have a good chance of finding something reasonable within the next month. Yesterday I calculated the drive time from Cody to all my favorite recreation places. I believe that Island Park is about 3 hours away, and you get to drive through Yellowstone (of course during the winter it would be a longer drive). Pinedale is five hours, but the East and North side of the Winds is a lot closer. Of course Yellowstone is just an hour away.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Laurissa said...

Nice post. Mom and I both have been thinking of you as we went to have claims made with our car. How many people do you work with? The transfer to Cody sounds really nice. How is the ward in Gillette? Do you have a calling? I'm sorry about your apartment. I hope you can find something sooner than a year!

6:43 PM  
Blogger Katherine and Rick said...

I like the pictures of Phoenix and your apartment. I'm sorry about the water heater. I'm glad your landlord will replace it and the carpet. At least you don't have any ruined furniture.

It must be the mild winters in Arizona, that is so attractive. Aslo the dry weather. Without a lot of ups and downs in barometric pressure, I hear it is great for Arthritis.

Have a great week--Mom

9:18 PM  
Blogger Kanien said...

That stinks about the carpet. Has it gotten changed yet? I think that we need to plan a trip to the cabin soon. I am about to die from not being able to go there as much as we used to. Give us a call and we can set up a time to go. Looks like you are having fun. Miss ya!

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home